Saturday, October 20, 2012

Hawaii 50


If you have to turn 50... I suppose one of the best places to do it is in Hawaii.  I remember a friend of mine turning 50 in Rome and thought... how cool is that.  To be away somewhere special helps ease the pain of "going over the hill". Elena & I spent the first two days of our week long trip in Honolulu visiting friends.  


We spent most of our time on the island of Hawaii at the resort of Mauna Kea.  Mauna Kea is a special place for Elena & I.  We've visited the resort several times in the past and can't get enough.  The beach, golf and aloha spirit of the hotel keeps us coming back.  Everyday is summer and the biggest problem we have is keeping the sunburn away. 


In 2005 the resort at Mauna Kea was closed for 2 years of remodeling after it sustained damage from a 6.7 scale earthquake.  During the 2 years it was closed they renovated the hotel and golf course.  The biggest changes I saw were on the golf course.  When I played the course in 2004 it had a total of 48 sand traps... now it has 96.  The traps are hard to miss and I took several strokes getting my ball out of the new steep & deep traps.  





The signature hole on the course is the number 3, par 3 hole.  The hole plays over the Pacific Ocean and if you leave your ball short you land in the water.  This hole is challenging and such a treat to play!


All good things must come to an end and it's back to the mainland tomorrow.   One last sunset (at Mauna Lani) will keep us coming back!   Aloha.... 








































I blog with BE Write

No comments:

Post a Comment