Saturday, September 22, 2012

Summer's last days in Tahoe




Elena & I decided to spend her "Birthday week" in Lake Tahoe this weekend.   We took our dog Dexter with us and had a great time.  We've spent so many years hanging out in Homewood and we've really come to love the spot.


One of our favorite spots is the beach at Chambers landing.  The weather this year was great.  The photo above was taken early morning as we enjoyed our coffee on the beach.  The afternoon was sunny, warm and in the upper 70's.  People were swimming, boating and having a great time.  It was a good weekend to be in Tahoe... but then again every weekend is a good weekend in Tahoe.


We took a hike this afternoon to a place called "5 Lakes".  The trailhead starts very close to the Alpine Meadows Ski resort.  It was a great day for a hike... sunny & clear.... "shorts" weather.  This was Dexter's first Tahoe hike...


The hike to 5 Lakes was 2.5 miles... all up hill.  We climbed over 1,000 feet of elevation with great views of the Alpine Meadows ski resort.  Elena & Dexter were great... neither one complained about the hike up hill.


I decided to go swimming after the 2.5 hour hike uphill.  When Dexter saw me swimming in the water he came right in after me.  I got the feeling he thought I was trying to leave him.  Dexter jumped in the lake, came after me for about 10 seconds and then turned back to shore.  I think he must have realized he either couldn't swim that well or the water was way too cold for him.  Either way it was funny to watch him bolt back to shore!


After a long climb up hill and a day at the lake it was time to go home.   Dexter did a great job climbing 2.5 miles up hill in the morning and trying to swim in the lake but he was pooped on the climb down hill.  I carried him on my backpack halfway down the hill... too funny!


No comments:

Post a Comment